Sunday 30 March 2008

City Planting

It’s a welcome change to read about a borough council with a seemingly forward-looking approach to cultivation in urban spaces. As The Guardian reports, Middlesborough borough council made land available for fruit and veg growing and is set to repeat the project this year following overwhelming participation from the community.

I hope sincerely that Glasgow and Portsmouth city councils aren’t the only councils who will contact Middlesborough to find out more about the scheme.

However, at a time when allotments throughout the UK are being threatened by councils and property developers wishing to make a quick buck (despite increasing demand!) , I’m unfortunately rather cynical that Middlesborough’s approach will be adopted elsewhere.

I hope that I’m proved wrong.

And I hope that more Councils start to address the growing demand for allotments and even consider going so far as to actively promote their use!

No comments: